Wednesday, September 16, 2009

QUINOA AND BLACK BEANS

Before this summer I never cooked much with black beans. After I made one or two recipes using black beans, I started to take note of different recipes that I came across that used black beans. I have been using dried black beans and cooking them before adding them to the recipe versus buying canned beans. Canned beans are much easier and faster but I think I get a better bean when I make them from scratch and canned beans do have a much higher salt content.

I made the following recipe this past weekend. I found the recipe on allrecipes.com and made a few adjustments. It contains quinoa, some vegetables, black beans and spices. It is a bit like a vegetable stew. You can improvise and add different vegetables. You can eat the stew either cold or hot. I have been eating this stew slightly warmed up in the microwave for lunches.

QUINOA AND BLACK BEANS
INGREDIENTS
1 teaspoon vegetable oil
1 onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
2 carrots, chopped
1 celery stalk, chopped
3/4 cup uncooked quinoa
1 1/2 cups vegetable or chicken broth
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
salt and pepper to taste
1 1/2 cups frozen corn kernels
2 (15 ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
OR 1 1/2 cups of dried black beans
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
DIRECTIONS
If using dried beans, soak beans overnight and cook the following day.
Heat the oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Stir in the onion and garlic, and saute until lightly browned. Add the carrots and celery and cook for several minutes.
Mix quinoa into the saucepan and cover with vegetable or chicken broth. Season with cumin, cayenne pepper, salt, and pepper. Bring the mixture to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 15 to 20 minutes,
Stir frozen corn into the saucepan, and continue to simmer about 5 minutes until heated through. Mix in the black beans and cilantro.


No comments:

Post a Comment