Wednesday, December 23, 2009

STUFFING FOR TURKEY

Some recipes are handed down through the generations with subtle changes being made by the individual cook.  I never learned to make stuffing or gravy while growing up.  Stuffing and gravy wasn't a staple in my childhood home so there was no transferring of these recipes between the generations.  I learned to make stuffing and gravy by watching others and following recipes.  I like stuffing that has more than just bread, melted butter and poultry seasoning in it.  One stuffing recipe that I make frequently when making turkey is from Canadian Living.  This recipe is flavourful and it always a hit with guests.  I haven't made too many changes from the original Canadian Living recipe.  I do dry out the bread in the oven before cubing it.  I find using dried bread makes the stuffing less mushy.  I make more stuffing than what can be put in the turkey so what can't fit into the turkey gets wrapped in tinfoil and baked during the last hour with the turkey.  Once I take the stuffing out of the cooked turkey, I mix it in a bowl with the stuffing baked in tinfoil.

HAZELNUT/ALMOND BREAD STUFFING

INGREDIENTS:

3/4 cup hazelnuts or almonds
3/4 cup butter
2-1/2 cups chopped celery
2 cups chopped onions
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 apple (unpeeled), diced
4 tsp dried sage  ( I use mixed poultry seasoning)
1-1/4 tsp pepper
1 tsp each dried rosemary and salt (I use less salt)
1/4 lb sliced pancetta, prosciutto or smoked ham, diced
14 cups or one loaf cubed multigrain or whole wheat bread
1 cup chopped fresh parsley


DIRECTIONS:
On baking sheet, bake nuts in 350°F (180°C) oven for 8 to 10 minutes or until fragrant.  If using hazelnuts, rub vigorously in tea towel to remove skins; coarsely chop. Set aside.
In large skillet, melt butter over medium heat; cook celery, onions, garlic, apple, sage, pepper, rosemary, salt and pancetta for 10 to 15 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Place bread, parsley and nuts in bowl; add celery mixture and toss well. It is now ready for stuffing the turkey. Stuffing can be covered and refrigerated for up to 1 day or frozen for up to 1 week; if frozen, thaw in refrigerator for 24 hours before continuing.

No comments:

Post a Comment