Sunday, March 7, 2010

NOT MADE FROM SCRATCH


I enjoy exploring the grocery shelves in the stores where I buy our weekly grocery items.  Sometimes I go looking for specific products I have heard or read about.  Not everything I make is from scratch!  One source of information that I use is a monthly newsletter that I receive called Nutrition Action Newsletter.  This nutrition newsletter is a great read and offers tips, articles and reviews on a variety of food and heath issues.  In the March 2010 edition, there is an article called Whole Grains - finds and frauds.  One find that the authors like is Bob's Red Mill 10 grain pancake and waffle mix.  Yesterday, while at the grocery store I found this particular food item.  This mix has no refined grains and the ingredients include buttermilk, flaxseed mill and the following flours - whole wheat,  whole grain corn, rye, triticale, oat, rolled oats, soy, millet, barley and brown rice.


This morning I made pancakes from this mix.  I know I did not make pancakes from scratch as some of you may, but making pancakes from scratch using 10 different grains is more challenging.   These pancakes turned out fluffy, were not heavy and were quite tasty.  From one cup of mix I made 10 pancakes.  You have to be careful and not use a large amount of batter for each pancake as they do rise and grow while cooking in the frying pan.  Once the pancakes land on my plate, I like to spread some peanut butter or almond butter on them, followed by some jam or maple syrup or agave syrup.  I will definitely be making these pancakes again and may use the mix to make waffles.  Bob's Red Mill makes over 400 products and you can find more information on them at www.bobsredmill.com

Another product that I have been buying at a local organic food market that I frequently go to is thai coconut soup by Happy Planet Foods (www.happyplanet.com).   I didn't know about this product or company until I saw the soup in the cooler section of the store.   The company is located in British Columbia and produces about half a dozen soups and also juices.  This soup is made using coconut milk, baby corn, bamboo shoots, carrots, tomatoes, red pepper, cilantro and thai chilies.  It is gluten free and has no preservatives or additives.  It is also low in fat and sodium.  You can add shrimp, chicken or other protein sources to the soup.  I haven't bought any of the other soup varieties that this store carries as I have enjoyed this soup and keep going back to it.  It does have a bit of a bite but it is not overpowering.

No comments:

Post a Comment