Thursday, April 1, 2010

COLE SLAW - ORIENTAL STYLE

I don't always have cabbage in the fridge.  I buy it in spurts.  I use cabbage mainly for soups and salads.  I have made cabbage rolls but I could never roll the cabbage and make the roll as tight as some of the cabbage rolls sold in the local stores here.  I decided to stick with the cabbage rolls made locally and sold in stores.

I like cole slaw and grew up eating cole slaw made using a vinegar base versus a mayonnaise base.  I do prefer a vinegar base as I find some of the commercial brands that are made with mayonnaise use too much mayonnaise.  I make a variety of cole slaws that include apple, celery, chopped nuts and carrots.  The following recipe is a simple recipe and uses rice vinegar and sesame oil in the dressing.  I made this recipe using the food processor and finely grated the cabbage and carrots versus using a coarse grater.  I also used a bit more carrots as I like to have lots of carrots in the cole slaw.  I don't use all of the dressing as I don't like the cole slaw to be marinated in the dressing.  The leftover dressing is stored in a small container and placed in the fridge where I will use it as salad dressing for other salads that I plan to make during the week.





COLE SLAW – ORIENTAL STYLE

INGREDIENTS:

½ medium head of cabbage, grated
2 carrots, graded
3 green onions sliced or ½ small shallot, chopped
1 clove of garlic, minced
¼ cup olive oil
¼ cup rice vinegar
1 tbsp sugar or splenda
1 tsp sesame oil
salt and pepper to taste

DIRECTIONS:

Combine cabbage, carrots, onions and garlic in a mixing bowl.  Combine oil and rice vinegar in a 2 cup glass measuring cup.  Microwave on high for 45 seconds.  Pour hot dressing over cole slaw and then add sesame oil and mix well.  Serves 4 to 6 people.  Keeps in the fridge for several days.


No comments:

Post a Comment