Friday, April 2, 2010

HOT CROSSED BUNS

One of my DH's nostalgic foods around Easter time is hot crossed buns.  Most of the buns we have purchased in the past years from bakeries are not what I would call exceptional.   Since I like making bread I decided to make hot crossed buns and found this recipe from one of the internet sites that I frequently visit.  The recipe is from Simply Recipes  - hot cross buns.

I made a few variations to the recipe.  (1) I did not have currents so I used a combination of chopped mixed peel and raisins. (2) I used 2 tsp of allspice instead of the mixture that is suggested in the recipe.  (3) I made the frosting to use in painting the cross but it wasn't as thick as it should be so I decided instead to glaze the tops of the buns.  The following photos show the buns ready for their second rise and after they came out of the oven.   The buns turned out wonderful and are really delicious.  They are not very sweet, have enough raisins and peel and are not strongly spiced.  This recipe is definitely a keeper.





No comments:

Post a Comment