Wednesday, June 9, 2010

CHICK PEA PEANUT STEW

My sister-in-law recently sent me this recipe that she had made.  She recommended it to me and after seeing that it contains a number of vegetable ingredients that I like, I decided to make it for supper.  I made only minor modifications.  The original recipe didn't call for chick peas but I added a drained can of chick peas.  Secondly, I used a small can of light coconut milk (about 400 ml) instead of the one cup in the original recipe.  I didn't want to have leftover coconut milk.  I also added about 2 tsp of fresh minced ginger instead of 1 tsp.  Mincing or finely grating ginger can be a chore if you don't have a fine gauge kitchen tool that is designed for this job.  I have a wonderful grater that I bought over six years ago from Lee Valley tools.  It reminds me of a horse rasp or a really big nail file with fine holes in it.  I generally use it for ginger or garlic.

This recipe is also great for freezing one meal portions to take to work for lunch.   I try to freeze at least one container for future lunches when I make soups or stews such as this one.




CHICK PEA PEANUT STEW

INGREDIENTS:

1 large sweet potato, small cubes
3 carrots, diced
¼ tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp curry powder (or to taste)
4 cups apple juice or cider
¼ tsp salt
796 ml can diced tomatoes
half of a small cabbage, diced
2 medium red peppers, small chunks
2 tsp minced fresh ginger
1 medium onion, diced
1 can of chick peas, drained
1 cup unsalted peanuts, chopped
1 small can of light coconut milk
1 cup peanut butter

DIRECTIONS:

Place sweet potato, carrots, cayenne pepper and curry powder in a large pot.  Pour in the apple juice and if needed add water to cover about 2 inches above the vegetables.  Bring to boil, then simmer for 15 minutes.  Add the salt, tomatoes, cabbage, red peppers, chick peas, ginger and onion.  Return to boil and simmer about 15 to 25 minutes and then add the peanuts, coconut milk and peanut butter, stirring well.  Cook until the vegetables are tender.  Serve with quinoa or brown rice sprinkled with cilantro or parsley.  

No comments:

Post a Comment