Friday, August 13, 2010

CHERRY CRISP

I like making fruit crisps as they can be an easy and quick dessert to make.  I made this crisp using the cherries that I picked from our cherry trees.  I also used the cherries from the backyard trees to make jam, jelly and a pie.  This was profiled in an earlier blog (link here).  

The following recipe is good with any berries, apples, peaches, nectarines, plums or your other favorite fruit.  I made this recipe using spelt flour as one of the dinner guests that I served this to is on a gluten free diet.  As I was making this crisp for company, I doubled the recipe and used a deep pan.

INGREDIENTS:
4 cups of pitted cherries or other fruit
2 tsp almond flavouring if using cherries or lemon juice
2 tsp tapioca
1/2 cup white sugar (only if using sour cherries)
1/2 cup quick cooking oatmeal
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup butter, melted
1/2 cup brown sugar  

DIRECTIONS:
In a medium size bowl, mix the cherries, almond flavouring, tapioca and white sugar.  Pour this mixture into a 9 inch pan.  Rinse the bowl and mix the flour, oatmeal, butter and brown sugar.  Spread this crumbly mixture over the the cherries.  Bake at 375 degrees F for about 30 to 35 minutes.  The crisp should be brown and the fruit will be bubbling.  Serve warm or cold by itself or with ice cream.  Makes about 6 servings.

1 comment:

  1. Tooooo much almond.... maybe a tsp but 2 tablespoons was waaaaay to much. Not edible .- ruined my precious

    ReplyDelete