Tuesday, August 17, 2010

RICE BOWL WITH BEEF

I made a roast beef for supper on Sunday and after two consecutive days of having roast for supper, it was time for a change.  Some people can eat leftovers for days on end while others can only handle one to two days of leftovers.  I fall somewhere in between and it depends on what the leftovers are.  One meal I do make with leftover meat is a rice bowl.  A rice bowl is essentially rice placed on the bottom of a big soup bowl or a pasta bowl and topped with stir fry vegetables and meat.  It can be as simple or as complicated as you want to make it.  I try to go for the simple method.  The following pictures provide the ingredients and commentary.

In a large bowl, mix 2 tsp of brown sugar, 1 tbsp soy sauce or tamari sauce, 1 tsp sesame oil, 1/2 tsp grated fresh ginger and 1 minced clove of garlic.  This is a marinade sauce and is good for other cuts of cooked and raw meat.  

Slice the leftover meat into thin strips.  As this had to serve 2 people and I had about 5 to 6 ounces of cooked roast, the focus would be on the vegetables and not the meat.  Mix the meat into the marinade and put into the fridge while you prepare the vegetables.  

Chop an onion, carrot, 1/2 red pepper, one broccoli bunch and a handful of mushrooms. Heat 1 tbsp of oil in a wok and once the oil gets hot, add the onion.  Saute on medium high heat for a few minutes and then add the rest of the vegetables. 

Since there was not going to be a lot of meat in this dish, I decided to add 1/2 cup of edamame beans to the wok.  I buy shelled frozen edamame beans and use them in a variety of recipes. 

Before I started to marinate the meat, I got the rice going.  I have a small rice cooker and use it when I don't need to make heaping quantities of rice.  I cook both basmati white and brown rice and will cook either one depending on time that I have to cook the rice. 

Saute the vegetables for about 5 minutes and then add the meat.  Cook for another few minutes.

Supper is ready!

No comments:

Post a Comment