Wednesday, November 3, 2010

FIVE-FINGERED SHOES

I am never one to pass up on different kinds of shoes.  The shoes that I am wearing are what some people call five-fingered shoes.  It is made by a company called 'Vibram' and it is based on barefoot technology.


These shoes allow you to feel as if you are going barefoot with the protection of a slim sole.  The shoe fits like a second skin.  Five-fingered shoes were first developed as a barefoot alternative for climbing, light trekking and sailing.  These shoes are now used for running, swimming, canoeing, kayaking, surfing, yoga and pilates.  I bought these shoes to use for pilates as pilates is done barefoot or wearing toe socks.  I like wearing these shoes and could wear them around the house, by the beach, or doing other water sports.  I don't know if I like wearing them all the time for pilates.  I am planning to get a pair of toe socks for pilates and will compare the differences between the two products.  

There are two different schools of thought of whether these shoes should be used for running.  On one side of the fence are those that recommend structured shoes and there is the other side that promotes the benefits of running barefoot.  Running barefoot leads to better running form and improved injury resistance.  These five-fingered shoes would protect your feet from sharp edges, glass, rough surfaces and other outside elements.   I have never run barefoot so I don't know know how I would do with these shoes.  

No comments:

Post a Comment