Wednesday, January 26, 2011

HOMEMADE FALAFEL

I have never made falafel before and the desire to try to make this was from another blogger's site that I read vegan epicurean.  She only cooks vegan and has some interesting recipes.  Some of the food combinations are not for my tastes.  However, I made her recipe and also made some changes to it.  The recipe below includes my adjustments.  The falafel tastes great but they look like little pancakes.  They were likely too wet to retain the round ball shape.  I added a bit more tahini than the recipe calls.  Plus the recipe has baking soda so they do expand.  They are low in calories.
Mixing everything in the bowl after the ingredients have been pureed.

On parchment paper and ready for baking.

My pancake shaped falafel.
INGREDIENTS:
1 large can of chick peas, drained ( I try to use the salt free can)
2 tbsp lemon juice
4 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 yellow, white or red onion
1/2 zucchini, cut into slices
4 carrots, sliced
4 tsp tahini
1cup fresh cilantro
2 tsp ground coriander
2 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp baking soda
black pepper, to taste

DIRECTIONS:
In a blender or food processor, puree the chick peas with the lemon juice.  Place the chick peas in a large bowl.  Into the blender add the remaining ingredients except for the baking soda and pepper.  Blend/puree well.  Add the puree vegetables to the chick peas and mix well.  Add the baking soda and pepper.  Mix well.

Since my mixture wasn't stiff enough, I knew that they would not be perfectly shaped round balls.  Using a tablespoon, place a dollop onto a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.  I sprayed the parchment paper with Pam.  Leave a little bit of space between the balls.  Place into a 350 degree F oven and bake for 20 to 25 minutes until lightly browned.  Remove the cookie sheet from the oven and let it sit on the stove for a few minutes.  You need to allow it a few minutes to cool before flipping each one over.  Flip each one over using a spatula and bake for another 10 minutes.   Makes 36 to 40 balls or mini pancakes.  You can freeze them on the cookie sheet in a single layer and then place them in a freezer bag once frozen.

3 comments:

  1. I've never had these. They sound good. Do you put some sort of sauce on them? Do you serve them hot or cold?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I ate them cold as part of my lunch. You can make a yogurt sauce, put then in a salad or in a sandwich.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll have to try that. They sound very nutritious and good.

    ReplyDelete