Wednesday, April 6, 2011

BLACK BEAN AND COUSCOUS SALAD

I love the combination of beans, corn, cilantro and grains such as couscous or quinoa.  When I realized I had all of the ingredients I decided to make this salad.  It makes enough for leftovers to have for lunches.   One interesting footnote to this salad.  I thought I had a can of black beans in the cupboard but it was actually black soy beans.  I didn't realize the can was soy beans until I opened it.  Any kind of beans can be used in this salad.  It is a great salad.

Corn is the first ingredient added to the big bowl.

I used black soy beans instead of black beans.

Chopped yellow pepper and green onion.

Vegetable ingredients and beans added to the bowl.  Mixing them is the next step.

Couscous cooling before being added to the salad.

Ready to be served.
INGREDIENTS:
1 cup uncooked couscous
1 1/4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
3 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp lime juice
1 tsp wine vinegar
1 tbsp maple syrup or other sweetening ingredient
1/2 tsp cumin
4 green onions, chopped
1 red/yellow pepper, chopped
1 cup corn kernels
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
1 - 15 ounce can black beans or other beans
salt and pepper to taste

DIRECTIONS:
Bring broth to boil in a sauce pan and stir in the couscous.  Cover the pot, remove from the burner and let stand for five minutes.  Let cool and while cooling, fluff the couscous and break up any chunks.  In a large bowl, add the onions, pepper, corn and cilantro.  Mix the ingredients.  Add the couscous and mix well.  In a separate small bowl, mix together the olive oil, lime juice, vinegar, maple syrup and cumin.

Add the oil mixture to the salad and toss to combine. Season with salt and pepper if required.  Serves 5 to 6.

Adapted from allrecipes.com

No comments:

Post a Comment