Sunday, June 5, 2011

REBOUNDING - UPDATE


Since obtaining a rebounder or mini-trampoline, I have been rebounding (which is jumping/bouncing) about five times a week.  It has been giving me a cardiovascular workout and at the same time you feel like you are having fun and that you are a kid and just playing.

For more than half of my weekly sessions, I incorporate two pounds weights, holding one in each hand.  Using weights increases your heart rate faster and also adds a bit more depth to the exercises.  Depending on the exercise, I will move my hands while holding the weights in the same direction as my feet.  For example, doing jumping jacks with your feet moving in and out, you hold your arms bent at the elbow, in front of your stomach or halfway between your stomach and chest, palms facing in and as your feet move to the outside, your arms move in the same direction.  Another example is jumping straight up and down and doing hammer curls or biceps curls with your arms.  You can also move your arms and not hold the weights.  You do need to develop a rhythm in order to help coordinate your feet and arm movements.

A recent article in the Globe and Mail by Kathleen Trotter highlighted some different ways you can use rebounding in your exercise routine.  Examples include doing three sets of six minutes of rebounding with four minutes of walking or running up the stairs in your home after each set.  Rebounding sets can include easy running, high knees, jumping jacks and kicking your bum.  A second way to rebound is to incorporate it into circuit training.  A third way is to use a rebounder as a warm up before doing weights. Ms. Trotter also highlighted the added bonus of rebounding to improve your lymphatic system.  The lymphatic system is a network of tissues, organs and vessels which helps maintain your fluid balance, cleans body fluids of foreign matter and provides immune cells for defence.

Up until recently I had been rebounding in my bare feet.  Upon reading another article, I decided to try wearing a light pair of track shoes I once used for speed training as part of my running program.  I have found that wearing these shoes have provided me with some additional stability and protection of my ankles.  Another important thing to do while rebounding is to keep your gaze forward and not focus your attention on your feet as this will affect your balance.

No comments:

Post a Comment