Sunday, September 11, 2011

GAZPACHO SOUP

With produce from the garden, I like to make a gazpacho soup.  If you have never eaten gazpacho soup, it is a cold minced vegetable soup.  It is made in a blender by mincing the raw vegetables and adding some spices, lemon and lime juices and red wine vinegar. You can vary the vegetables depending on what you have.  The recipe is from the Lake Louise Station restaurant in Lake Louise Alberta.  I was so impressed with the soup when I was there years ago at this restaurant and the chef kindly gave me the recipe.   I like the slight acidity flavour from the tomatoes, lemon and lime juices and vinegar.

The recipe calls for tomato juice.  I didn't have tomato juice so I used four garden tomatoes instead.  I also added a stalk of celery and two garden carrots.   I didn't add the regular onion and just used the green onion.

Using the blender to make the soup.
Ready to eat!
INGREDIENTS:
4 cups of tomato juice or 4 to 5 large tomatoes
1/2 cup onion
1 clove garlic, minced
1 coloured pepper
2 small to medium size cucumbers, peeled and cut into chunks
2 green onions
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 tbsp lime juice
2 tbsp red wine vinegar
1 tsp fresh basil or 3 basil leaves
1/4 cup fresh parsley
1/2 tsp cumin
salt and pepper to taste

DIRECTIONS:


Put everything into the blender and blend until smooth.  Serves 3 to 4.

No comments:

Post a Comment