Thursday, January 5, 2012

FLOURLESS BANANA BLUEBERRY MUFFINS

I saw this recipe in the Wheat Belly book and decided to try it.  There are a number of recipes that use ground almonds--almond meal-- in place of wheat flour.  I have been having these muffins for breakfast.  I keep them in a zip lock bag in the fridge versus the cupboard or kitchen counter as they are moist.   I will definitely make these muffins again.

Banana gives these muffins some of its sweetness.  Because of that, I only added 1/4 cup of splenda to the recipe.  I used frozen blueberries but you can also instead any other berries that you may have fresh or frozen.  Since I had two ripe bananas that I wanted to use, I added both to the recipe and made 18 muffins.  My freezer has enough frozen bananas and I don't need to add anymore to the collection.  I used sour cream in the recipe.  These muffins cook at a lower heat, 325 degrees F.  I was wondering why a lower heat but I followed the instructions and it worked.

Ground almonds and flaxseed 

Dry ingredients mixed together

Bananas mashed in a bowl

Muffin mixture all mixed together

Out of the over and ready for sampling

INGREDIENTS:
2 cups ground almonds
1/4 cup ground flaxseed
sweetener such as stevia or splenda equivalent to 3/4 cup sucrose
1 tsp baking powder
dash of salt
1 ripe banana
2 eggs
1/2 cup sour cream or coconut milk
1/4 cup oil
1 cup blueberries, fresh or frozen

DIRECTIONS:
Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.  Grease or use muffin cups for a 12 cup muffin tin.

In a large bowl, combine the ground almonds, flaxseed, sweetener, baking powder and salt.  Mix well with a spoon.  In another bowl, mash the banana.  Add the eggs, sour cream or coconut milk and oil.  Mix well.  Add the banana mixture to the almond meal mixture and mix thoroughly.  Add the blueberries.

Spoon the batter into the muffin tins, filling them to almost 3/4 full.  Bake for 35 to 45 minutes or until a toothpick comes out dry.  Cool in the tin for about 10 to 15 minutes and then transfer to a rack to cool completely.  Makes about 10 to a dozen muffins.

Recipe from the Wheat Belly book by Dr. William Davis

No comments:

Post a Comment