Wednesday, February 1, 2012

EGG FRIED RICE

When cooking rice,  I usually make enough servings for a few meals.  I have a fair size rice cooker so it is not onerous to cook the rice.  I also like cooking the rice in the oven in a covered pyrex dish versus cooking it on top of the stove.  Somehow when I cook it on top of the stove, the pot can boil over or somehow the stovetop gets cooked liquid over the elements.

I made the following recipe with 2 cups of rice so I halved the ingredients except for the eggs.  It is too hard to halve 3 eggs.  I used 2 eggs in the recipe.  I used brown rice.  I didn't have fresh ginger so I used dried powdered ginger.  The DH and I liked this dish and I will make it again.

Stirring the ingredients while cooking in a large frying pan.

Ready to be served.


Egg Fried Rice

INGREDIENTS:

2 tbsp soy sauce
½ tsp red chili flakes
¼ tsp pepper
1 tbsp sesame oil
1 tbsp oil and 2 tsp oil
3 eggs, lightly beaten
1 large carrot, diced
2 stalks celery, diced
2 green onions, chopped
1 tbsp fresh ginger, grated
2 cloves garlic, minced
2/3 cup frozen peas
4 cups cold, cooked long grain brown rice

DIRECTIONS:

In a small bowl, combine the soy sauce, sesame oil, chili flakes and pepper.  Set aside.  Heat on medium high,  the 1 tbsp oil in a wok or large frying pan.   Add the eggs and swirl around so that it spreads out like a pancake.   Cook until it is set and cooked.  Gently remove from the pan and place onto a plate.  Slice into shreds.

Add the 2 tsp of oil to the pan and heat to medium high.  Add the carrots, celery, green onion, ginger, garlic and peas.  Cook for 3 minutes.  Stir in the rice and the soy sauce mixture.  Cook for 3 to 4 minutes breaking up the rice with a spatula until heated through.  Add the egg shreds and cook for another minute or two.  Serves 4 to 6.

Adapted from Alive Magazine, October 2011.

No comments:

Post a Comment