Friday, September 21, 2012

CHUNKY APPLE CARROT MUFFINS

A friend provided this recipe and calls them 'very healthy as fas as muffins go'.  It is a healthy recipe as it has no additional oil, lots of fiber and I used splenda to reduce the sugar content.  I did a few things in this recipe which made them more chunky.  I didn't use the fine shredded attachment in the food processor but the regular one so the carrots were thicker.  That was an oversight on my part in the attachment I used.  I also likely shredded more than what the recipe called for.  The apples were on the larger side so I used 2 large gala apples and 1 smaller gala apple.  The batter was probably thicker that what it should be and I used three eggs instead of two to add more volume to the liquid.

The muffins are delicious and I did freeze about half of them.  The DH has muffins for the next week.

The photo shows the chunkiness of the muffins.
INGREDIENTS:

1 1/2 cups of flour ( mixture of white and whole wheat)
3/4 cup oatmeal - quick cooking flakes
3/4 cup oat bran
1 cup brown sugar or 1/2 cup splenda
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp cinnamon

3/4 cup raisins
1 cup nuts, chopped
1 1/2 cups of finely shredded carrots
3 shredded apples (unpeeled)

3/4 cup milk
2 eggs, beaten
1 tsp vanilla

DIRECTIONS:

Mix all of the dry ingredients in a large bowl.  Stir in the carrots, apples, raisins and nuts and combine.  In a separate small bowl, combine the milk, eggs and vanilla.  Stir the liquid ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir until the mixture is moistened.

Grease the muffin tins or use paper muffin cups and fill each muffin cup to almost full.  Bake at 350 degrees F for 15 to 20 minutes.  Makes 2 to 2 1/2 dozen muffins.

No comments:

Post a Comment