Saturday, September 29, 2012

ZUCCHINI PANCAKES

I quite enjoy omelets made with shredded zucchini or baked zucchini egg loaf.  What caught my attention when I saw this recipe was the chickpea flour.  The addition of chickpea flour does make this recipe into pancakes.  The pancakes held together well and were good.  I added about 1/3 cup crumbled feta cheese to the batter and used Greek seasoning.  I used a non-stick frying pan to make the pancakes and was able to cook all of the pancakes in 2 batches.   I added oil to the pan at the start but didn't add any oil when I was cooking the second batch.

Chickpea flour is quite different from wheat flour as it is lower in calories, higher in fat and of course higher in fibre and protein.  The three pancakes I ate were quite filling.   I serve the pancakes with oven roasted new potatoes, cherry tomatoes and sliced cucumbers.

Nutrient contents of chickpea flour.

Cooking in an electric frying pan.


ZUCCHINI PANCAKES

INGREDIENTS:

1 tbsp oil
2 medium zucchinis, shredded
1 green onion, diced
1/2 tsp Italian, Greek or other seasonings
2 eggs, beaten
½ cup chickpea flour

Topping: Serve with salsa, parmesan cheese or other favorite condiments

DIRECTIONS:

Add all of the ingredients to a mixing bowl and combine well.  In a large frying pan, heat the oil to medium high heat.  Using a large spoon, spoon about a ¼ cup of the mixture into the pan and spread the pancakes out in the pan so that you have room to flip each one over after 3 to 4 minutes cooking on each side.   You will probably need to make a few batches as the recipe makes 10 to 12 pancakes.  For each batch you will need to add more oil to the frying pan.  Serve with your favorite topping.  

No comments:

Post a Comment