Saturday, October 17, 2015

EGGPLANT WITH TOMATOES AND GREEN ONIONS

Recently I bought an eggplant from the farmer's market.  I grew up eating eggplant but I know that it is not part of everyone's vegetable menu.  This recipe is somewhat nostalgic as my mother would make it and I still remember eating it growing up.   The DH likes this recipe and he didn't eat eggplant until he met me.

It is a recipe made with a handful of ingredients, simple but delicious.  You can see from the photo that the tomatoes are coarsely chopped.  You can chop the tomatoes more finely.  I didn't as this was a juicy tomato from the garden.  I used the juice from half a lemon so the amount may have been a bit more than what I provided in the ingredient list.  I like lemons so the added juice is desirable.



INGREDIENTS:

1 medium to large size eggplant
1 green onion, chopped
1 tomato, chopped
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 tbsp good quality olive oil
salt and pepper to taste

DIRECTIONS:

Cut the stem off from the end of the eggplant and pierce the eggplant in several spots with a fork.  Microwave in a dish for 10 minutes.  Let cool.

Cut the cooled eggplant in half lengthwise and peel the eggplant flesh away from the skin.  I use a fork to help peel it away and I also use the fork to scrape the skin of any remaining eggplant.  Place the eggplant flesh on a cutting board and chop into small pieces.  Place it in a bowl and add the remaining ingredients.  Use a spoon to thoroughly mix all of the ingredients.  Serves four as a side dish.

Option:
Before microwaving the eggplant, you could use a peeler and peel the skin off of the eggplant flesh.  I have never cooked the eggplant this way but it is an alternate way to get the peel off.

No comments:

Post a Comment