Saturday, January 9, 2016

ALMOND AND COCONUT FLOUR BREAD

In my travels through the internet I come across wonderful food blog sites.  The pictures and layouts are eye catching as are the recipes.  I have posted several gluten/wheat free recipes for breads and muffins.  I decided to try this one from elana's pantry as I am familiar with her cookbooks.  The ingredient list to make this bread is not extensive and it requires both almond and coconut flour.  It does require five eggs which is more than some other loaves I have made.  The loaf is not large in size so one wants the loaf to rise while baking and also be tasty with the investment of both eggs and almond flour for the ingredients.

In making the loaf I didn't make any adjustments to the measurements for the ingredients.  I used agave instead of honey as the honey I have is solid.  I also melted the coconut oil in the microwave before adding it to the batter as I was worried about adding solid coconut oil to the batter and not having it evenly distributed.  I used a mix master to mix the ingredients using a small bowl.  The standard mix master bowl would have been too large for the size of this loaf.   I used a small non-stick loaf pan and greased it with coconut oil so that the loaf would come out easily.  I baked it for about 28 minutes at 350 degrees F using convection heat in the oven.  The loaf needs to rest for two hours in the pan and cool before turning it over to come out of the pan.  I let it cool down for an hour and that was fine.  The bread does not rise to the same height like regular gluten yeast bread.  But it is very filling I think due to the eggs.  It is not crumbly when slicing nor dry in texture.  The DH and I thought the bread tasted fine and he said it was like a banana loaf in terms of height.  One could add a mashed ripe banana to the batter and I am sure it would work.  I will store the loaf in the fridge in a plastic bag or container instead of leaving it on the counter or in the cupboard.

Batter mixed and ready to go into the loaf pan. 

The sampling has started.

Here is the recipe from elana's pantry - almond and coconut flour bread.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment