Sunday, March 6, 2016

VEGETABLE OMELET IN A MUFFIN TIN

I like some variety in my food choices for breakfast.  Eating the same thing for a week can be boring.  I was also thinking about options for work day breakfasts that could be taken to work or already prepared ahead of time if I was eating breakfast at home.  This recipe is a cross between a crustless quiche and a vegetable omelet.  You use a muffin tin to cook the eggs and you can use muffin tin liners instead of greasing each individual tin.

I also like this recipe in that it includes vegetables which are good to eat with every meal.  It is a mixture of eggs, egg whites, cubes of back bacon and vegetables.  The combinations are endless.  I used back bacon instead of regular bacon as it is leaner and it has less salt.  I did add a small slice of aged cheddar cheese to each muffin cup before baking.  That is also optional if you are following a dairy free diet.  I consider myself about 95% dairy free in the food I eat.  Occasionally I will have some cheese.  I did add some salsa to my plate as a condiment for spicing up these eggs.  Both the DH and I enjoyed this for our breakfast and there are leftovers for breakfast this week.

Before baking and addition of cheese.


Ready to eat. 
INGREDIENTS:

4 eggs
1 cup egg whites
1/2 onion, diced
1/2 coloured pepper, diced
5 asparagus stalks, thinly sliced
2 big handfuls of spinach, chopped
5 thin slices of Canadian back bacon, cubed
salt and pepper to taste
2 ounces of sliced cheese

muffin tin liners
12 size muffin tin

DIRECTIONS:

Add the onion, pepper and asparagus to a small bowl.  Add a little bit of water and microwave for two minutes.  This is to soften the vegetables.   In another bowl beat the eggs and egg whites. Add the  salt and pepper.  Add the microwaved vegetables, bacon and spinach to the eggs.  Mix thoroughly.

Using a tablespoon, spoon the mixture into each well in the muffin tin.  Add enough to each well so that the mixture is close to the top.  Add a small amount of cheese to the top of each muffin tin well.  Bake for about 20 minutes at 350 degrees F.   Makes 12 muffin servings.


No comments:

Post a Comment