Saturday, October 1, 2016

DOG COOKIES


A colleague at work recently provided me with a recipe for dog cookies.  It is very simple to make.  It is based on tuna for protein and flavouring.  When I first read the ingredient list I thought these dog cookies could easily become savoury crackers.  I didn't use the best quality tuna in that I used light solid tuna in water.  I made likely 5 dozen cookies as I rolled them out thinly.  Both the dog and I like these cookies.  I did some sampling along with the dog after they came out of the oven.  We both thoroughly enjoyed them.  For the next batch that I make, I might half the ingredients and make less cookies.  If I was making them as savoury crackers, I would add herbs and roll them out very thinly.

Cooling off on the baking sheets.

In a storage container that is kept in the fridge. 

INGREDIENTS:

1 - 8 oz tin tuna in water, drained
2 cups cornmeal
2 cups flour
3/4 cup water
2/3 cup oil
1/2 tsp salt
DIRECTIONS:

Using a mix master or food processor, add all of the ingredients into the bowl and mix on a slow speed for several minutes. If it is too dry or not binding, add a little bit of water and continuing mixing for another minute.  The mixture should resemble dough.  Roll out in the cookie pan to 1/4 or 1/2 inch thickness.  Score the dough into rectangular squares.  Bake at 350 degrees F for 20 to 25 minutes.  Let cool in the pan.  Makes at least 3 dozen cookies.  Store them in the fridge. 

No comments:

Post a Comment