Saturday, November 19, 2016

MAUREEN'S BIG BATCH CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES

In the 1980's a friend gave me this recipe for chocolate chip cookies.  Both of us were in school and baking big batches of cookies and other recipes made it more convenient between studying, going to classes and looking after yourself.  I haven't made this recipe in years and it still tastes as good when I made them today.  

I followed the original recipe except that I used Splenda in place of the white sugar.  I did not add the peanut butter.  I also decided to experiment and use mini tart baking shells instead of making all of them in the traditional cookie shape.  I wanted to make small cookies that would be easy to freeze and also easy to transport to share at work and with friends.  I like the smaller size as they are about 3 bites.  Using the mini tarts baking shells, I made 8 dozen and I also made about 17 cookies in the traditional way.  I used a teaspoon of batter, not heaping, in the mini tart shells.  The cookies were enjoyed by the DH.

I used my large bowl KitchenAid  to mix the batter.

Adding the chocolate chips as the last step.

I flattened the batter in the mini tart baking shells. Ready for the oven.

Cooling down before I remove them to place on wire racks.

The cookies taste as good as they look.
INGREDIENTS:

2 cups crisco or other shortening
2 cups brown sugar
1 cup white sugar
2 tsp vanilla
3 eggs
4 1/2 cups flour
2 tsp baking soda
2 tsp salt
12 ounces chocolate chips

1/2 cup peanut butter (optional)

DIRECTIONS:

Heat the oven to 375 degrees F.

In a large bowl or mixmaster, cream together the shortening, brown and white sugar and vanilla.  Add the eggs.  Mix well.  Add the flour, baking soda and salt to the mixture and combine.  Add the chocolate chips and peanut.  

Using a generous teaspoon, place spoonfuls of the batter on a large cookie sheet, flatten with a fork and bake for 8 to 10 minutes.  Provide some space between each cookie as they do spread.  Makes between 9 to 10 dozen cookies. 



No comments:

Post a Comment