Saturday, April 8, 2017

SAUSAGE BARLEY VEGETABLE SOUP

About three years ago I posted a recipe for a soup with vegetables, sausage and quinoa (vegetable sausage quinoa soup).  I recently made it again but used some different ingredients.  When I buy a pack of italian sausage at Costco, there is more than enough for a few meals.  I tend to use a few sausages for soup.  I like the mild italian sausage which I find spicy enough and don't dare try the hot italian sausage.  I added about a heaping one third of a cup pearl barley and I could have easily added instead half a cup.  If you are following a paleo lifestyle, you would not be adding the barley and could add potato or other starchy vegetables.  I made this soup using an electric pressure cooker but it can also be made in a large soup pot on top of the stove.  The soup was delicious and it will make great lunch or supper options.


INGREDIENTS:her 

1 large onion, diced
2 cloves of garlic, minced
3 stalks of celery, chopped
3 carrots, thinly chopped
1 can of sliced mushrooms, drained or 1 cup fresh sliced mushrooms
2 cups of frozen chopped green beans
1/2 package of frozen spinach 
1/3 cup heaping pearl barley
6 tomatoes, pureed or diced
2 italian sausages, chopped into small pieces
8 cups broth - vegetable, chicken or beef
1 tsp of italian seasoning
salt and pepper, optional

DIRECTIONS:

Add all of the ingredients to either a large pot on the stove or an electric pressure cooker.  If using the stop top method, heat to a boil and let simmer, covered, for 90 minutes.  If using the electric pressure cooker, cook on medium pressure for 16 minutes.  Makes 6 to 8 servings. 


No comments:

Post a Comment