Saturday, June 24, 2017

HERB HUMMUS

Quite a few years ago I used to make my own hummus and ate it quite frequently. I ate it so often that I needed to take a break from it as I couldn't stand to eat it anymore. Eventually over time, I started to buy hummus from the grocery store and got back into eating it but not as an every day staple. I would buy different kinds of hummus - garlic, red pepper, artichoke and onion. I would have trouble eating all of the hummus I would buy if I bought it from Costco as the containers are large and sometimes you get two in a package. The DH wouldn't eat hummus as frequently as I did so the hummus would sometimes spoil before I could consume it all. 

I had the bright idea this week to make hummus instead of buying it and I could make a smaller batch. I am also trying to eat less cheese and hummus is a great substitute for me as a snack or to spread on veggies or bread as part of a meal. In making this herb hummus I used fresh chives, mint and parsley from the garden. I also used canned chickpeas with no added salt. Instead of using canned chickpeas, you could use dry chickpeas and cook them ahead of time. The flavours of the herbs, chickpeas, garlic, lemon juice, tahini and agave syrup are a great combination. The hummus turned out great and the DH said he liked it and it passed his seal of approval. 


After mixing in the small food processor.

Ready for sampling.

INGREDIENTS:

1 glove garlic, minced
1 tsp cumin
zest of one lemon, optional
1/4 cup tahini
3 tbsp lemon juice
2 tbsp olive oil 
1 small bunch of parsley
6 fresh stalks of chives
6 fresh mint leaves
1.5 tsp maple syrup or agave
1 large can, 540 ml, of chick peas, drained and rinsed
up to 1/4 cup of water 
salt to taste

DIRECTIONS:

In a food processor, add the garlic, cumin, lemon juice, olive oil and agave/maple syrup. Puree to make a paste. Coarsely chop the herbs and add them to the food processor. Puree the herbs with the paste. Add the chickpeas and bit of salt to taste. Puree the mixture. You can add a bit of water to thin out the hummus and get the consistency you want. If you like hummus to be very smooth, puree for longer. Makes 2 cups. Store in a container with a lid in the fridge. Will keep for five days.

Adapted from Naturally Nourished by Sarah Britton.

No comments:

Post a Comment