Sunday, October 29, 2017

APPLE CRISP PALEO STYLE

Having a number of apples in the fridge and a friend coming for supper, prompted me to bake a dessert. It was a good excuse to try making apple crisp paleo style. I looked at several cookbooks I had and adapted this recipe from one I saw in Everyday Paleo for a berry crisp. Why I made this paleo style is because this household is watching its carbs and sugar intake. I like using almond meal or almond flour in cooking and baking. What I like about this recipe is that it dresses up baked apples.

Apples in the non-stick pan.

Almond meal, coconut flour and cinnamon combined.

The egg has been added and the topping is ready to spread over the apples.

Going into the oven.

INGREDIENTS:

6 apples, cored and chopped
1 1/2 cups almond meal
2 generous tbsp coconut oil (solid at room temperature)
1 tbsp cinnamon
drizzle of honey or maple syrup or Splenda (optional)

DIRECTIONS:

Heat the oven to 350 degrees F. Put the chopped apples into a non stick plan and spread evenly across the pan. I used a 8 X 11 inch rectangle plan. Drizzle the honey or maple syrup or sprinkle the Splenda over the apples.  

In a small bowl combine the almond meal and coconut oil. I used a small pastry blender to mix two together. Add the cinnamon. Combine using a fork or mixing spoon. Add the egg and mix thoroughly. The mixture will be crumbly and a bit doughy. 

Using your fingers or a fork, drop small pieces of batter on top of the apples so that they are evenly covered. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until the crust is golden and the apples look baked.  Serves 6. 

No comments:

Post a Comment