Sunday, October 1, 2017

APPLE SCONES WITH OAT FLOUR

I recently bought a bag of oat flour and since it wasn't too hot outside, I was thinking about baking something that could be consumed either for breakfast or as a treat. I also had gone out for lunch with friends and knew that I was not interested in a full supper as I had a big bowl of pho chicken soup for lunch. 

After looking at some cookbooks and the internet, I decided to make scones. I like scones but not too overly sweet. I used an apple as the fruit in these scones but you could also use pear, banana or berries. The recipe calls for cane or coconut sugar but you can use regular sugar. I used cane sugar. The coconut oil was already soft in the large jar and I didn't need to cut it into the flour with a pastry cutter. I used a hard mixing spoon. Using soft coconut oil made the flour mixture less crumbly, too sticky and more of a blended mixture. I think because of this, I added a bit more oat flour to the dough when I was separating the dough into two halves and shaping it into two round circles. I left the two rounds of dough with each scored into six pieces. I didn't separate the pieces to bake. 

The scones turned out fine, a bit crumbly as I used gluten free certified oat flour and rolled oats which is not the same as baking with flour. They are light and not too sweet. I like the combination of apple and cardamon.


Before baking - two circles of dough scored into 6 pieces per round.

 
Ready for sampling!
INGREDIENTS:

1 cup oat flour
1 cup old-fashioned or quick-cooking oats
cup natural cane sugar or coconut sugar
2-1/4 tsp baking powder
1 tsp ground cardamom
¼ tsp fine sea salt
cup solid coconut oil, cut into chunks
1 large egg
2 tbsp milk (dairy or nondairy)
1-1/4 cups chopped apple, option to peel it

INSTRUCTIONS:

1. Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.

2. In a large bowl, whisk together oat flour, oats, sugar, baking powder, cardamom and salt. Using a pastry blender or two knives, cut in coconut oil until crumbly.

3. In a small bowl, whisk the egg and milk. Add to the flour mixture and stir until just blended; fold in apples.

4. Turn dough out onto a surface lightly dusted with oat flour. Gently pat into two 6-inch circles, about ½ inch thick. Cut each circle into 6 wedges and place 2 inches apart on prepared baking sheet.

5. Bake in preheated oven for 17 to 22 minutes or until golden brown and firm to the touch. Transfer scones to a wire rack and let cool for 5 minutes. Serve warm or let cool completely.


Adapted from powerhungry.com

No comments:

Post a Comment