Friday, March 30, 2018

FENNEL APPLE PECAN SALAD

From time to time I buy fresh fennel bulbs both during the summer and winter months. In winter I think more about roasting and baking fennel pieces and in summer I think about adding it to salads. 

Even though it is early spring, I became focused on making a fennel salad today. I usually add orange to a fennel salad but this time I decided to add apple and some nuts. I find a fennel salad to be very refreshing and it is a nice change. In making this recipe I decided to half it as it was for two people as part of lunch and I didn't want leftovers. I cut the quantity of each ingredient into half and used a green apple and pecan nuts. To make thin strips from both the fennel and apple, I used a mandolin. I forgot how useful the mandolin is to make thin strips and need to use it more often. You can use a food processor with the right attachment to make thin strips but the mandolin has less parts to it and easier to clean up. Both the DH and I enjoyed the salad and I will make it again.   


Mixing up the fennel salad.

Ready to eat.

INGREDIENTS:

1 fennel bulb, sliced very thinly into strips
1 green or other tart apple, cored, sliced very thinly into strips 
1 oz chopped pecans, walnuts or almonds 
handful of parsley, chopped
3 tbsp olive oil
3 tbsp cider vinegar
2 tsp honey
salt to taste 

DIRECTIONS:

Using a mandolin, food processor or hand grater, shred the fennel bulb and apple. Place into a medium size mixing or serving bowl. Add the nuts and parsley and mix everything until it is well combined. In a small bowl, container or glass jar, mix the olive oil, vinegar, honey and salt. Add to the bowl with the salad mixture. Mix well and serve. Makes 4 generous servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment