Friday, March 9, 2018

HOT CEREAL MADE FROM NUTS

Over the years I have visited the blog site of Danielle Walker, Against All Grain,  who has written about dairy, gluten and grain-free recipes. She has written at least two cookbooks and I finally just bought the book titled "Against all Grain". It has a number of wonderful recipes that I plan to make. Danielle Walker started to change to what she ate as she was dealing with autoimmune issues including ulcerative colitis. She started to follow a Paleo diet and found the foods that helped her thrive. 

I have been following and cooking a Paleo style diet as I am watching my carbohydrate consumption/insulin resistance with balancing the amounts of carbs, fat, protein and plant material and the DH deals with some autoimmune issues. I do include some dairy in my diet including plain Greek yogurt with some fat in it, Parmesan cheese and some goat and sheep cheeses. I am careful with not consuming too much cheese. I will also have toast from time to time but I am selective on the type of bread. Sour dough is my preferred choice followed by rye or pumpernickel. I will also have small amounts of oatmeal and small amounts of certain kinds of beans. The DH is also not eating vegetables from the nightshade family and is careful eating some vegetables that have a lot of lectin in their skins. Since changing his diet, he is feeling much better. 

The recipe that I am profiling in this post is from the cookbook "Against all Grain". It is a hot cereal made from nuts. I didn't make any changes though I used almond milk instead of coconut milk. I just happened to grab the almond milk from the fridge instead of the coconut milk. I was leery of adding 2 teaspoons of cinnamon as I thought it might be too much but it wasn't. This cereal is very filling and it makes four portions. It has the consistency like cream of wheat. I would first start off by just taking one portion in your bowl as it is filling and you may think the portion is small but it is deceiving. I added a few raisins, a teaspoon of maple syrup and some almond milk to my bowl of hot cereal. Both the DH and I enjoyed this hot cereal. I will make it again. 

Nuts added to the blender.

Blending the ingredients.
Cereal placed in the pot to heat up.

Adding raisins to the bowl of cereal.

Ready to eat with milk, maple syrup and raisins added to the bowl.

INGREDIENTS:

1/2 cup raw cashews
1/2 cup raw almonds
1/2 cup raw pecan nuts
pinch of sea salt
1 ripe banana
2 cups of coconut or a nut milk
2 teaspoons cinnamon 

DIRECTIONS:

Place the nuts in a bowl or a storage container that comes with a lid. Sprinkle the nuts with the sea salt. Add water to cover the nuts by at least one inch. Cover with a lid or plastic wrap and leave on the counter overnight.

In the morning, drain the nuts and rinse them several times in a colander. Place the nuts in a high speed blender or food processor and add the rest of the ingredients. Blend until smooth. Transfer to a pot, cook on medium high until the cereal starts to heat up and reduce the heat to low. Cook for five to eight minutes. Serves 4. You can add some raisins, milk, maple syrup to your bowl of hot cereal.

No comments:

Post a Comment